Alan Sandoval

Default Origin of albondigas?

My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've only
found it at a few places here in S Calif.

Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If it
is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
taught her well in the kitchen.

Alan Sandoval

Alan Sandoval

Opps! Wrong group, sorry!

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

only
> found it at a few places here in S Calif.
>
> Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If

it
> is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?
>
> I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
> seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
> contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
> taught her well in the kitchen.
>
> Alan Sandoval

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Peter Dy

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> Opps! Wrong group, sorry!

Not necessarily! In the Philippines we have them -- almondigas,
meatball soup. Here's a nice-looking picture, though I thought it was made
with thin wheat noodles, not rice noodles.

http://cooking.houseonahill.net/recipes/000210.html

> "Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> > My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> > origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

> only
> > found it at a few places here in S Calif.
> >
> > Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional?

If
> it
> > is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

If you do a search on the web, there are Mexican, Honduran, Spanish, etc,
albóndigas. It certainly originates from Spain, maybe even from the Arabs,
since the word comes from Arabic.

Peter

> > I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
> > seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
> > contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
> > taught her well in the kitchen.
> >
> > Alan Sandoval

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
> =---

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

LeeBat

"Peter Dy" > wrote:

>http://cooking.houseonahill.net/recipes/000210.html

Thanks for the link, Peter. Good recipes there.

LeeBat

Alan Sandoval

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> > Opps! Wrong group, sorry!

> Not necessarily! In the Philippines we have them -- almondigas,
> meatball soup. Here's a nice-looking picture, though I thought it was

made
> with thin wheat noodles, not rice noodles.
>
> http://cooking.houseonahill.net/recipes/000210.html

Looks yummy! When I was in the Navy I spent quite a bit of time in the PI.
There was an excellent Mexican restaurant in the infamous (at the time) city
of Olongapo. It was called Papagayos. I couldn't name another restaurant I
ate at any time during my four years in the Navy (it was over 30 years ago)
not even the floating restaurant in Aberdeen in Hong Kong. But Papagayos
has stuck with me. We went there often at the start of a night on the town.
Of course after quaffing a signifigant number of San Miguel's if we were
hungry we'd buy whatever the hell the street vendors were BBQ'ing on the
sidewalk outside the bars. There were various rumours about the origin of
the meat, I'd rather not explore that now!

Thanks for the reply.

Alan

> > "Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> > > My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> > > origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

> > only
> > > found it at a few places here in S Calif.
> > >
> > > Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional?

> If
> > it
> > > is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

> If you do a search on the web, there are Mexican, Honduran, Spanish, etc,
> albóndigas. It certainly originates from Spain, maybe even from the

Arabs,
> since the word comes from Arabic.
>
> Peter
>

> > > I do remember my mother always kept a mint plant growing in the yard,
> > > seemingly only for a key ingredient in albondigas. And yes, my mother
> > > contributed the Danish half of my heritage, guess paternal grandmother
> > > taught her well in the kitchen.
> > >
> > > Alan Sandoval

> > News==----
> > > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

>100,000
> > Newsgroups
> > > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

> Encryption
> > =---

> News==----
> > http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000

> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
> =---

Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
.. .
[...]
> If you do a search on the web, there are Mexican, Honduran, Spanish, etc,
> albóndigas. It certainly originates from Spain, maybe even from the

Arabs,
> since the word comes from Arabic.

More on the Arabic origins he "Albóndigas, the Spanish word for
"meatball," derives from the Arabic al-bunduq, "hazelnut," meant to evoke
their form and size. The making of albóndigas date at least back to Islamic
Spain, for there are several recipes in the anonymous thirteenth-century
Hispano-Muslim cookery book Kitab al-tabikh fi Maghrib wa'al-Andalus."

http://www.cliffordawright.com/recipes/albondigas.html

Peter

Peter Dy

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message
> My mother seemed to make this quite well though I know nothing of it's
> origin. It was simply described to me as Mexican meatball soup. I've

only
> found it at a few places here in S Calif.
>
> Is this a widely available traditional Mexican food? Is it regional? If

it
> is cross-regional does it differ from place to place?

It's funny, 'cause I have 5 Mexican cuisine cookbooks and only one of them
has a recipe for albóndigas -- "Albóndigas con tecino." And there it's not
a soup.

And as an aside, that cookbook also includes a popular Mexican saying that
mentions meatballs: "Salir más caro el caldo que las albóndigas."
Literally, I think, "Turns out the broth is more expensive than the
meatballs;" figuratively, "What's less important requires more
effort/money." I guess broth does require more effort....

Peter

Peter Dy

"Peter Dy" > wrote in message
om...
[...]
> And as an aside, that cookbook also includes a popular Mexican saying that
> mentions meatballs: "Salir más caro el caldo que las albóndigas."
> Literally, I think, "Turns out the broth is more expensive than the
> meatballs;" figuratively, "What's less important requires more
> effort/money." I guess broth does require more effort....

My favorite, though, is "No confundas las enchiladas con los chilaquiles,"
because I love both. Guess it's the same as our "Don't compare apples and
oranges."

"Como agua para chocolate" is also good, for someone who is angry and
agitated, evoking the frothing up of chocolate and water with the molinillo
(chocolate frother) as the Mexicans do it.

Can't think of many interesting or creative English food sayings, except for
"Who cut the cheese?" But adults don't say that. And American cheese isn't
even smelly....

Peter

Albondigas Soup koko General Cooking 1 22-05-2016 07:53 AM
Albondigas Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2006 12:29 PM
Albondigas Recipe Anyone marriz Mexican Cooking 12 11-04-2005 03:14 AM
Albondigas Recipe Anyone marriz Mexican Cooking 0 30-03-2005 03:41 AM