Posted to alt.food.asian
ray ray is offline

Default re pronunciation

Hi to Linda,Tippi, Nick, and other members of this group, and thanks for
your valued comments.

It appears that I'm on the wrong track with Black Beans; and I have been
attacking my problem in the wrong way.

What I am trying to find out; is the name of a paste that my parents used
many years ago, to prepare my favourite dish .

It was in fact around sixty odd years ago when I was approx. 14-16 ... ( I
am aged 81 so please bear with me)

It was a pretty simple dish to prepare, as all that was involved, was
marinating a large piece of belly pork in this mystery sauce that was
smooth, with a thick consistency and colour similar to LKK's CHU HOU PASTE;
which happens to be the closest result I have found during a long long
search.

The piece of pork was then slowly grilled on both sides and basted a few
times with the sauce and when cooked, cut into bite size pieces.

Trying to describe the taste can be difficult, especially after a long
period as this but I can still remember it as though it were yesterday..

If you have tasted LKK's CHP ; then the mystery sauce is a little sweeter
than that
and quite a bit acidic on the tongue. (This made me think that it may be
fermented)

Now my parents used to get me to buy this sauce, as I worked nearby our
local
China-town. I used to make my self understood to the mostly elderly
shopkeepers eventually, after many tries at the correct pronunciation, as
follows:

Guim Den, Gim Duen, Gim Deng. When I couldn't make myself understood, I
was able to locate the rectangular tin the product came in, to which the
shopkeeper
would say "Ah, you want Gium Juim".

It is my belief, that at that time, most of the shopkeepers were Cantonese.

Every time I visit any Asian Food stores, I keep looking, hoping that this
time
I'll fnd it. These days most of the tins are round and not rectanglar as
they were then.

My pantry just cannot hold any more jars that I've brought home, thinking
this is the one....

Please excuse my ramblings
regards
Ray (Victoria,
Australia)

re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:56 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:51 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:32 PM
re pronunciation Ray Asian Cooking 0 28-10-2007 12:26 PM
Need Help On Pronunciation Sioux Wine 4 13-11-2006 11:40 AM