Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Please rank these Maesri Thai curry pastes by chili hot?

I enjoy cooking with the Maesri thai curry pastes.

http://www.maesribrand.com/can.htm...

However choosing one that is not too hot is a crap shoot for me. Can
someone please rank them by chili hot?

Thanks,

Todd K.

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Jul 18, 4:26 pm, wrote:
> I enjoy cooking with the Maesri thai curry pastes.
>
> http://www.maesribrand.com/can.htm...
>
> However choosing one that is not too hot is a crap shoot for me. Can
> someone please rank them by chili hot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd K.

Generalities for Thai curries:

Massaman and yellow curry (maesri calls the yellow "Karee") are
probably the least hot, though not heatless.

Chu chee, panang, and phrik khing are usually quite hot.

When using curry pastes, you can adjust the heat by using more or less
paste. The problem is that when you use less, you not only get less
heat, but less flavour.

rona

Posted to alt.food.asian

Rona Y > wrote:
> On Jul 18, 4:26 pm, wrote:
> > I enjoy cooking with the Maesri thai curry pastes.
> > http://www.maesribrand.com/can.htm...
> > However choosing one that is not too hot is a crap shoot for me. Can
> > someone please rank them by chili hot?

> Generalities for Thai curries:
>
> Massaman and yellow curry (maesri calls the yellow "Karee") are
> probably the least hot, though not heatless.
>
> Chu chee, panang, and phrik khing are usually quite hot.
>
> When using curry pastes, you can adjust the heat by using more or less
> paste. The problem is that when you use less, you not only get less
> heat, but less flavour.

Jun's Nam Prik Kii Gaa (Spicy Crow Poop) Dipping Sauce:

You will appreciate Pee Jun's scientific precision (and my parenthetical
'refinements')

1 full hand Jalapenos, or the Fire of your choice, chopped (2 cups?)
1 big red onion, chopped (1 cup?)
gra tiem or garlic, crushed or chopped (1 cup?)

pan-fry, no oil, until nicely done (?)

1 handful (1 cup?) dried shrimp

Pound in mortar or blend in blender or food processor. Add:

2 or 3 Tablespoons lime juice, to taste
2 or 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce or Nam Pla, to taste. Better too little than
too much.
1 or 2 Tablespoons sugar, to taste

Adjust consistency to be like a dip, with hot water if necessary. Good as
a dip with raw cucumber, celery, carrot, broccoli, etc. or served with
seafood.

~Semper Fi~