Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Ancient Americans liked it hot -- Smithsonian study traces Mexican cuisine roots to 1,500 years ago

I same across these interesting facts - 1. One of the world's tastiest
and most popular cuisines, Mexican food also may be one of the oldest
2.Ancient Americans liked it hot. Some details of the same are
available at

http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/1302.htm

Posted to alt.food.asian

> wrote ...
>I same across these interesting facts - 1. One of the world's tastiest
> and most popular cuisines, Mexican food also may be one of the oldest
> 2.Ancient Americans liked it hot. Some details of the same are
> available at
> http://theanalystmagazine.com/pr/1302.htm

This is an interesting article, and clarifies a brief snippet I saw in a
local newspaper. And it is nice confirmation, but I fail to see what the
big deal is.
I can't imagine anyone believed that the scores, if not hundreds, of
varieties of chiles currently or recently in use were all developed *since*
the European invasion. (Sadly, many of the local varieties are falling into
disuse under modern economic forces.) And it must certainly have taken a
long time before 1500 CE to develop such variety.