Posted to alt.food.asian

Default brown bean sauce

since i just got a used copy 'the people's republic of china
cookbook,' and i know some folks here cook from it, i was wondering if
you have the name of a good brand of 'brown bean sauce.'

for that matter, since i'm going to store, how about hot bean and
sweet bean pastes?

if the subject has been done to death here, google groups didn't show
it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:45:36 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> since i just got a used copy 'the people's republic of china
>> cookbook,' and i know some folks here cook from it, i was wondering if
>> you have the name of a good brand of 'brown bean sauce.'

>Koon Chun brand:
>http://www.koonchun.com.hk/product_s...tml#seasoning2
>
>The "Bean Sauce" has chunks in it, the "Ground Bean Sauce"
>doesn't. Both are the same, just different textures. Several
>"experts" recommend the bean sauces made from broad beans, but I
>can't find any made with broad beans, just soy.
>
>> for that matter, since i'm going to store, how about hot bean and
>> sweet bean pastes?

>I had a hell of a time finding a good, basic, unadulterated
>Sichuan-style hot bean sauce. I finally settled on Kim Lan,
>which I found at a Mexican grocer of all places. This one may be
>a little harder to find.
>
>Here's pictures of both. Also posted to alt.binaries.food under
>title "Bean Sauces".
>
>http://i16.tinypic.com/2qlflgz.jpg
>
>-sw

koon chun i know i've seen, not sure about kim lau.

just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
others use.

thanks, steve.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

blake murphy wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:45:36 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> since i just got a used copy 'the people's republic of china
>>> cookbook,' and i know some folks here cook from it, i was wondering if
>>> you have the name of a good brand of 'brown bean sauce.'

>> Koon Chun brand:
>> http://www.koonchun.com.hk/product_s...tml#seasoning2
>>
>> The "Bean Sauce" has chunks in it, the "Ground Bean Sauce"
>> doesn't. Both are the same, just different textures. Several
>> "experts" recommend the bean sauces made from broad beans, but I
>> can't find any made with broad beans, just soy.
>>
>>> for that matter, since i'm going to store, how about hot bean and
>>> sweet bean pastes?

>> I had a hell of a time finding a good, basic, unadulterated
>> Sichuan-style hot bean sauce. I finally settled on Kim Lan,
>> which I found at a Mexican grocer of all places. This one may be
>> a little harder to find.
>>
>> Here's pictures of both. Also posted to alt.binaries.food under
>> title "Bean Sauces".
>>
>> http://i16.tinypic.com/2qlflgz.jpg
>>
>> -sw

> koon chun i know i've seen, not sure about kim lau.
>
> just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
> and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
> delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
> these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
> others use.
>
> thanks, steve.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Hi Bake -

I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
book - should I be keeping a look out for it?

Funny coincidence to see it mentioned here the next day - I never heard
of it before.

Thanks,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:03:25 -0500, ian wrote:
>
>> I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>> interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>> book - should I be keeping a look out for it?

> I haven't seen this book, but Bruce Cost has several books on
> Asian ingredients that are highly recommended.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Ingredie.../dp/006093204X
>
> While Charmaine Solomon is a good reference, she doesn't
> recommend actual brands.
>
> -sw

I actually have quite a good book on Asian ingredients: Jacki Passmore's
The Encyclopedia of Asian food and Cooking. The only reviewer of it on
Amazon wanted to change his review from 3 to 4 stars. I have found it
useful, though I have been keeping my eye out for a deal on Costs' book
too, for whatever extra value it might add.

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:03:25 -0500, ian > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
>> > wrote:

>>> Koon Chun brand:
>>> http://www.koonchun.com.hk/product_s...tml#seasoning2
>>>
>>> The "Bean Sauce" has chunks in it, the "Ground Bean Sauce"
>>> doesn't. Both are the same, just different textures. Several
>>> "experts" recommend the bean sauces made from broad beans, but I
>>> can't find any made with broad beans, just soy.

>>> I had a hell of a time finding a good, basic, unadulterated
>>> Sichuan-style hot bean sauce. I finally settled on Kim Lan,
>>> which I found at a Mexican grocer of all places. This one may be
>>> a little harder to find.
>>>
>>> Here's pictures of both. Also posted to alt.binaries.food under
>>> title "Bean Sauces".
>>>
>>> http://i16.tinypic.com/2qlflgz.jpg
>>>
>>> -sw

>> koon chun i know i've seen, not sure about kim lau.
>>
>> just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
>> and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
>> delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
>> these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
>> others use.
>>
>> thanks, steve.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Hi Bake -
>
>I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>book - should I be keeping a look out for it?
>
>Funny coincidence to see it mentioned here the next day - I never heard
>of it before.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ian

i haven't yet cooked from mine. she (?) divides china into north,
east, southeast and southwest quadrants, and divides the recipes that
way also. i looked mostly at the szechuan stuff (southwest by her
taxonomy, and the spicing as given seems on the not-too-hot side (say
a tsp. vs. a tbl hot been paste, etc. the book does say 'adapted for
the american kitchen' not 'to the american taste,' so hard to say.
others here have recommended it though (i think).

i got mine, used, he

<http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Republic-China-Cookbook/dp/0394733800/ref=sr_1_1/102-1892494-4483316?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174241413&sr=1-1>

for about five bucks, incl. shipping. no gravy stains that i can see.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 04:11:42 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:22:09 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
>> and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
>> delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
>> these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
>> others use.

>The modern vans aren't bad. Canning technology has improved in
>the last 30 years, and the ones I did try weren't bad. But
>they're the minority these days. Almost all imported sauces are
>now in glass.
>
>One notable exception I insist on is the Herdez Salsa Casera.
>While it comes in both glass and cans, the small cans are
>superior to the larger glass jars for some reason.
>
>-sw

i'll bear that in mind. i have bought that in jars, just because i
could not bear the thought of buying chi-chi's, or taco bell's or the
like.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 04:14:41 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:03:25 -0500, ian wrote:
>
>> I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>> interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>> book - should I be keeping a look out for it?

>I haven't seen this book, but Bruce Cost has several books on
>Asian ingredients that are highly recommended.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Ingredie.../dp/006093204X
>
>While Charmaine Solomon is a good reference, she doesn't
>recommend actual brands.
>
>-sw

the people at amazon sure seem to love it! i'll have to see if the
local borders has a copy i can crib from.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:03:25 -0500, ian > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:54 -0600, Steve Wertz

>>> koon chun i know i've seen, not sure about kim lau.
>>>
>>> just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
>>> and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
>>> delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
>>> these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
>>> others use.
>>>
>>> thanks, steve.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> Hi Bake -
>>
>> I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>> interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>> book - should I be keeping a look out for it?
>>
>> Funny coincidence to see it mentioned here the next day - I never heard
>> of it before.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ian

> i haven't yet cooked from mine. she (?) divides china into north,
> east, southeast and southwest quadrants, and divides the recipes that
> way also. i looked mostly at the szechuan stuff (southwest by her
> taxonomy, and the spicing as given seems on the not-too-hot side (say
> a tsp. vs. a tbl hot been paste, etc. the book does say 'adapted for
> the american kitchen' not 'to the american taste,' so hard to say.
> others here have recommended it though (i think).
>
> i got mine, used, he
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Republic-China-Cookbook/dp/0394733800/ref=sr_1_1/102-1892494-4483316?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174241413&sr=1-1>
>
> for about five bucks, incl. shipping. no gravy stains that i can see.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Hi Blake -

I'm sorry, I just wasn't very clear. I was asking about the Robert Delfs
book 'the good food of szechuan' (1977).

I have the 'Peoples' book too, and have liked several recipes from it.

Thanks,

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Mar 15, 1:22 pm, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 22:03:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
>

> > wrote:
> >On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:45:36 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> koon chun i know i've seen, not sure about kim lau.

I agree with Steve: Koon Chun is good for brown bean sauce, especially
the chunky version.

> just for reference, what i've been using is szechuan brand, both hot
> and sweet bean pastes, from taiwan, in little cans. my boy robert
> delfs in 'the good food of szechuan' (1977) says to stay away from
> these but i don't find them all that bad - but was curious as to what
> others use.

Yeah... I haven't tried those Taiwanese versions, but generally they
are pretty different from what they use in Sichuan. I use hot bean
paste hand-imported from Sichuan, and the big difference is the use of
broad beans, as Steve mentions (though I think it's a mix of broad
beans and soy), and a real strong, deep fermentation. It just totally
transforms the dish. Oh, also it is chunky, even including whole
beans and, of course, barely broken up chilies.

I think my little sis said she found something good in New York. I'll
try to remember to ask her.

Just got back from a year and a half in Mexico, compañeros! Nice to
see a lot of familiar faces!

Pedro

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:00:16 -0500, ian > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:

>>> Hi Bake -
>>>
>>> I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>>> interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>>> book - should I be keeping a look out for it?
>>>
>>> Funny coincidence to see it mentioned here the next day - I never heard
>>> of it before.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ian

>> i haven't yet cooked from mine. she (?) divides china into north,
>> east, southeast and southwest quadrants, and divides the recipes that
>> way also. i looked mostly at the szechuan stuff (southwest by her
>> taxonomy, and the spicing as given seems on the not-too-hot side (say
>> a tsp. vs. a tbl hot been paste, etc. the book does say 'adapted for
>> the american kitchen' not 'to the american taste,' so hard to say.
>> others here have recommended it though (i think).
>>
>> i got mine, used, he
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Republic-China-Cookbook/dp/0394733800/ref=sr_1_1/102-1892494-4483316?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174241413&sr=1-1>
>>
>> for about five bucks, incl. shipping. no gravy stains that i can see.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>Hi Blake -
>
>I'm sorry, I just wasn't very clear. I was asking about the Robert Delfs
>book 'the good food of szechuan' (1977).
>
>I have the 'Peoples' book too, and have liked several recipes from it.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ian

oh! well, let's just say that *my* copy is stained in several places.
i like it very much. i think when i bought it there weren't szechuan
joints on every corner, so it was very useful. there's a basic pork
with vegetables stir-fry recipe that i use all the time. dry-fried
beef with celery and carrots is very good too.

amazon has a few used copies also, at a good price:

<http://www.amazon.com/Good-Food-Szechwan-Robert-Delfs/dp/0870112317/ref=sr_1_4/002-9824231-8583202?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174321869&sr=8-4>

ian, i can't remember if you're in the united states or not, but you
could probably get someone to accommodate you.

it's definitely worth having.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian
ian ian is offline

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:00:16 -0500, ian > wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:

>>> i haven't yet cooked from mine. she (?) divides china into north,
>>> east, southeast and southwest quadrants, and divides the recipes that
>>> way also. i looked mostly at the szechuan stuff (southwest by her
>>> taxonomy, and the spicing as given seems on the not-too-hot side (say
>>> a tsp. vs. a tbl hot been paste, etc. the book does say 'adapted for
>>> the american kitchen' not 'to the american taste,' so hard to say.
>>> others here have recommended it though (i think).
>>>
>>> i got mine, used, he
>>>
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Republic-China-Cookbook/dp/0394733800/ref=sr_1_1/102-1892494-4483316?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174241413&sr=1-1>
>>>
>>> for about five bucks, incl. shipping. no gravy stains that i can see.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake
>>>

>> Hi Blake -
>>
>> I'm sorry, I just wasn't very clear. I was asking about the Robert Delfs
>> book 'the good food of szechuan' (1977).
>>
>> I have the 'Peoples' book too, and have liked several recipes from it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ian

> oh! well, let's just say that *my* copy is stained in several places.
> i like it very much. i think when i bought it there weren't szechuan
> joints on every corner, so it was very useful. there's a basic pork
> with vegetables stir-fry recipe that i use all the time. dry-fried
> beef with celery and carrots is very good too.
>
> amazon has a few used copies also, at a good price:
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Good-Food-Szechwan-Robert-Delfs/dp/0870112317/ref=sr_1_4/002-9824231-8583202?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174321869&sr=8-4>
>
> ian, i can't remember if you're in the united states or not, but you
> could probably get someone to accommodate you.
>
> it's definitely worth having.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Thanks Blake - yes, I am in the US, so AMZ.com is an option. The price
is right, so I will go ahead and get a copy.
A couple of stains would have been ok, but the copy I saw had been used
a lot, and it was just very close to being trash!

Thanks for the info.

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 04:14:41 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 22:03:25 -0500, ian wrote:
>
>> I saw a copy of this book at a book sale yesterday, and was very
>> interested in it, but the copy was just too dirty to buy. Is it a good
>> book - should I be keeping a look out for it?

>I haven't seen this book, but Bruce Cost has several books on
>Asian ingredients that are highly recommended.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Asian-Ingredie.../dp/006093204X
>
>While Charmaine Solomon is a good reference, she doesn't
>recommend actual brands.
>
>-sw

just between you, me, and the great wall, i did go to borders
yesterday and cribbed a little from cost's book. here are some of his
recommendations (with two others interspersed):

mirin: kikkoman hon-mirin

shaoxing wine: pagoda shao xing rice wine
pagoda shao xing tiao chiew
"bottle that looks like johnny walker red"
black vinegar: gold plum chinkiang vinegar
tiensin vinegar
rice vinegar: narcissus swattow

hot bean sauce: lan chi soybean paste w/garlic
lan chi chili paste w/garlic
szechan hot bean sauce (from taiwan)
kim lau (steve wertz, i think)
wei ch'uan (robt. delfs - 'pretty fair')

sesame oil: kadoya
kinlan

thick soy: pearl river brand mushroom soy

oyster sauce: sa cheng oyster flavor sauce
hop sing lung oyster sauce

i was somewhat pleased with myself, because i use kadoya, the bottle
that looks like johnny walker (maybe they all do), and the szechuan
hot bean paste. (of course, this may mean cost doesn't know what he's
talking about.)

i looked at a couple of the recipes, and they seemed sound enough.

so, off to the asian grocery store and see what they got.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:46:49 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:58:19 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> shaoxing wine: "bottle that looks like johnny walker red"

>I have this one. It has salt in it. It's a cooking-only wine.
>I don't consider that good.
>
>But its the only version I can stock in the house without
>drinking it one night after I run out of beer ;-)
>
>> hot bean sauce: lan chi soybean paste w/garlic
>> lan chi chili paste w/garlic
>> szechan hot bean sauce (from taiwan)
>> kim lau (steve wertz, i think)

>I said Kim Lan. I think you just spelled it wrong (here and in a
>previous response).
>
>> sesame oil: kadoya
>> kinlan

>Again, I think it's KimLan.
>
><shrug>
>
>-sw

possibly i misread my own handwriting. i have corrected my notes.

your pal,
blake

Posted to alt.food.asian

I have had this book since it was new. My chinese book collection is now
over 30 but it remains one of the 2 or 3 favorites because of the clarity of
the recipes and the results that I have been getting consistently.
Ed