Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

"mikehende" > wrote in message
lkaboutcooking.com...
>I have a chimney starter and will use is at the advice given here but I
> would like to know just to have the knowledge on how best to start a fire
> if I'm in a situation where I don't have one around. Alright so I
> understand the concept I think, start with small chips and increase the
> size of the wood using the logs last. Are there any tricks when using
> moist or cold logs which could take forever to light assuming you don't
> have a chimney starter?

Follow the start small, increase size. Never try to burn one log; you need
two or more. With two logs the flame of one ignites the fuel of the other.
Watch as they flame back and forth and you will see what I mean.

Dry wood burns best of course, but if you have cold wet wood, use more
kindling and try to get the logs pre-heated near the fire if you can. The
moisture in the wood must be turned into vapor and dispersed before the wood
will catch fire. Don't stack wood tight; let air circulate freely. Nothing
magical about it, but the laws of physics.

In winter, keep a few logs in a dry spot such as the basement or garage.