Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected][_2_] hrbricker@NOSPAMverizon.net[_2_] is offline

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

On 21-Oct-2007, "mikehende" > wrote:

> I have a chimney starter and will use is at the advice given here but I
> would like to know just to have the knowledge on how best to start a fire
> if I'm in a situation where I don't have one around. Alright so I
> understand the concept I think, start with small chips and increase the
> size of the wood using the logs last. Are there any tricks when using
> moist or cold logs which could take forever to light assuming you don't
> have a chimney starter?

In that case, one must simply build a larger fire using smaller wood at
first. Dry branches an inch or more in diameter will ignite quickly and
burn quite hot as you keep adding more in a criss/cross fashion as
the fire size increases. You will inherently know when you have enough
heat going to ignite your logs however cold or damp they might be.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)