Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default starting outdoor fire issues, help needed

> mikehende wrote:
>> Thanks, my next question concerns techniques when starting a fire, I
>> see some folks using a whole bottle of lighter fluid sometimes to get
>> a fire going, I am thinking of using "briquets" by placing some of
>> them into the fireplace, spraying some fluid on them underneath the
>> main firewood, some told me to use coals, what's the best method
>> generally to start a fire using firewood to cook?

It's my understanding that wood dries more from its ends than along the
grain. The trick to rapidly drying wood, though, would be to increase
its surface area. That means the advice you got to cut and split the
wood as soon as possible, stacking it loosely and letting air
circulation dry it is quite appropriate.

I'd not recommend using any liquid to start a fire, since it could
flavor the smoke. My first thought was that you were cooking with logs
or longer sticks, but I think you might be talking about cooking with
chips. Fires begin best when you start with small, dry, pieces exposing
as much surface area as possible to the starting flame, then increase
the size of the wood pieces as the fire starts burning. Virtually none
of the good cooks would use a fluid, but would instead us a chimney to
get the fire started and the most volatile smoke products "cooked off"
the wood.

Get a tall quart or gallon can and cut out both ends. Put in some
loosely wadded newspaper and some shreds of waxed paper and stand the
cylinder vertically on a non-combustable surface like gravel. Be sure
to prop it some so that air can enter from the bottom and light the
paper from the bottom, since heat and fire rise. Add small pieces of
wood to the top and keep adding it as the fire inside builds. You can
then shovel the burning embers into your firebox or grill and use that
for cooking or flavoring. If you use a gallon can chimney, frankly, you
could light it in the tub of a typical grill and just remove the can
with pliers when it's full of burning wood pieces. Most folk don't use
the manufactured briquettes, either, but instead use plain old charcoal,
called "lump." A combination of lump and embers from a fire of some
hardwood can really do well.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,