PENMART01

Default beans; white

In article >, "jmcquown"
> writes:

>Peter Aitken wrote:
>> "Steve & Chris Clark" > wrote in
>> message ...
>>> Could someone tell me what one is referring to specifically when
>>> "white beans" are called for? I know it's not a navy bean, or white
>>> kidney bean or lima bean........actually it's from the blood type
>>> diet book........ thanks in advance
>>> Chris
>>>

>> I have always seen the term white bean used for either navy beans or white

>northern beans.
>
>And oddly enough, there is a difference in taste between a navy bean and a
>great northern bean. My father makes a wonderful navy bean soup. I've made
>it both with navy beans and great northern; it's much better with the
>smaller navy beans.

Can't really go by size or taste... often packers mislabel dried white beans,
it's not really possible for the consumer to know which ones they're eating,
and often packages will contain a mixture of various white beans... and then
different crops will taste differently; soil, climate, weather, and untold
variables all contribute to size/flavor/texture. Of course this holds true with
all produce.

pea bean
The smallest of the dried white beans, the others being NAVY, GREAT NORTHERN
and MARROW BEANS (in order of ascending size). Pea beans are very popular in
the Northeast and are the first choice for BOSTON BAKED BEANS. Some producers
and packagers do not differentiate between pea beans and navy beans, so
packages identified as white beans may contain both.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon