Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default Q. How to make Stroganoff interesting ???

"Pandora" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Michael Kuettner" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> James Silverton schrieb
>>> Steve wrote
>>> ??>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
>>>
>>> I think Hungarian paprika is *very* necessary and I would use that labelled
>>> "hot". The brand I use is "Pride of Szeged" (or something like that, I'm not
>>> writing this in the kitchen!)
>>>

>> If you use paprika, it isn't Stroganoff (the original recipe).
>>
>> That would be "Steak - goulash", I guess.
>> Leave off the mustard, douse with Cognac or Whisky, etc.
>>

> Goulash? Wasn't a stroganoff beef?

The classical "Wiener Saftgulasch" uses beef.
There are also pork, boar, veal, mushroom and chicken gulasch.
Stroganoff over here is made with steak meat.

> I use to do it with mustard and not paprika.

As a gentleman, I won't comment on that ;-P

> Paprika is good for goulash

Exactly.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner