Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default Q. How to make Stroganoff interesting ???

"Steve Y" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but my
> reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make it a dish
> to rave about ?
>
> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add sliced
> mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and leave to one
> side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the mushroom/onion mix
> and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then serve over rice.
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the recipe
> that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

Brown the strips first in very hot oil.
Remove them and keep them warm.
Reduce heat, add butter.
Now fry the shallots until they look glassy.
Add mushrooms (sliced), roast while stirring.
Throw in a little flour (a teaspoon) and stir well.
Douse with white wine.
Add a mix of bouillon, sour cream and a little mustard
(mixed).
Bring to boil, remove from heat, add meat.
Put lid on pan and let it simmer over low heat for a little.

If you need a more exact recipe, let me know.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner