Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Eating wild mushrooms

Magdalena Bassett > wrote:

> Here in the NorthWest (US) we are in the middle of the mushroom season.
> It's one of the best since I moved here - chanterelles, boletas, birch
> boletas, lactarius, russulas, and many more edible mushrooms. The
> chanterelles are the most popular with the pickers, and most pick 2-3
> gallons on an outing of about 3 hours. What fun! Yesterday, my husband
> and I found 31 shaggy parasols, in my opinion, tastier than any other
> mushrooms. We had a feast for supper last night, and the rest will be
> dehydrated to reconstitute later in the winter. I already have several
> containers with sauted chanterelles in the freezer, and hoping to round
> off my mushrooming season with a good find of matsutaki this weekend.
>
> Does anyone else on this group pick wild mushrooms for cooking?

I've been doing it my whole life and still do whenever I'm lucky enough
to find myself in Finland. I pick boletus edulis, boletus scaber (I
suppose that is what you call "birch boletus"), boletus aurantiacus,
chanterelles, morels, lactarius deliciosus, lots of other mushrooms and,
yes, even the various russulas, which are nothing special but still are
generally better than most any cultivated mushrooms.

Victor