Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael Kuettner Michael Kuettner is offline

Default Eating wild mushrooms

Magdalena Bassett schrieb :
> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>
>> You're absolutely right. People not knowing enough about
>> mushrooms shouldn't pick them.
>> I've picked them for 36 years now and never had any problems.
>> A note to beginners :
>> When in doubt, photograph the bugger and look in a book.
>> Don't pick the shroom.
>> When you pick clustered shrooms like chantarelles, always
>> leave a few in place. Otherwise, no shrooms next year.
>> Don't pick shrooms which show snail or insect bite.
>> They're past sell-by-date.
>>

> Yes, you're correct. It's very important to learn from experienced pickers. I
> learned from my Grandfather and my Father, who to this day bests me in his
> finds. He can walk through a paved parking lot and find edible mushrooms

Same here. My grandfathers taught me the "lore".
Especially leaving some mushrooms in place for reproduction.

> I'm a member of a local chapter of the Mycological Society and we often foray
> together. It's a great way to learn from experienced pickers and to learn the
> local woods and local spiecies. Even without mushrooms, it's a great thing to
> go climbing through the incredibly wild forests of the Olympic Wilderness. My
> husband does not pick, but he goes with us for the pleasure of the forest.

I'm thrilled about the newer knowledge about the symbiosis between
mushroom mycel and trees. Truffles being the most prominent examples.

Plus the widening in our knowledge, that not only trees are in symbiotic
relationship with mushrooms.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner