Jennifer A. Tyler

Default vegetarian packed lunch ideas

Hi Clare,
One of my favorite cookbooks for veggie soups and casseroles for lunches is
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Molly Katzen....even if you're a student
and strapped for cash I definitely recommend this.

www.vegetariantimes.com (Vegetarian Times, the magazine) usually has great
recipes too....some of them are great make-aheads.
I love to make a fried rice that gives me meals for days...

1st do-ahead:
2 cups raw brown rice cooked in 3 cups water until done

2nd do-ahead:
1/2 lb cubed tofu
1/4 c. tamari
1/4 c. wine vinegar
8 minced scallions
3/4 slices ginger
1 clove garlic

1tbs peanut oil (I end up using more)
1 tbsp. sesame seeds (again, I like more)
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 heaping tsp freshly minced ginger
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large carrot, diagonally sliced
1 stalk broccoli, chopped
1 green bell pepper, in thin strips
1 cup mung bean sprouts
cashews or peanuts 1/2 cup.....I love nuts, I prolly use more like a full
cup

Heat wok or skillet, add oil. Saute the sesame seeds, ginger, garlic over
medium heat for a minute or two. Add veggies and stir-fry for another 5-8
minutes....add some of the marinade (you can also use 1/4 to 1/2 cup white
wine here) and stir fry about 10 minutes more....(my recipe says 5...I find
veggies are never done on this time frame...not with so many veggies anyway)
Add rice, stir fry until rice is as crispy or chewy as you like it...add
tofu plus marinating companions....stir fry another 5-10 minutes until
everything is heated through and the consistency and taste you desire. Top
with nuts (or stir them in if you use a lot) and serve with sesame oil and
extra tamari to taste. (I add sesame oil while cooking)

This recipe is soooooo good....it's one of my favorite simple week-long
serving dishes And it packs well to reheat for lunch which is bonus.

Jennifer