Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Madcat Madcat is offline

Default Ready to try Rye (I think)

a few months ago I bought a starter from king arthur. Since then I
have been baking quite a bit with both commercial and sourdough yeast.
I baked my first rye loaf the other day and while it was very
flavorfull it was extremely dense with a very tight crumb. the recipe
is from here http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sourdough-Rye/Detail.aspx .
When I was mixing the dough was extremely loose so I added flour
(Bread only) I got the dough to where it was tacky to the touch but
dough did not come away when I moved my hand. This is normally how I
make my bread doughs and I am thinking this is much to dry for rye.

Does anyone have a good starting rye recipe preferably using weight.

What texture and feel makes a good rye dough and a good sourdough in
general?

The starter eats bread flour FYI

Ray