Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brian Christiansen Brian Christiansen is offline

Default Semi food related, though more marketing related

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Yes, indeed. It's what happened to blue jeans some years ago. Guess?
> Girbeau? My dear friend, the late Widow Geraldine refused to buy
> designer jeans with this rationale: "I'll be damned if I'm giving free
> advertising to that company. If I'm wearing anyone's name on my ass,
> it'll be my own." She was a woman of few words. God rest her soul.

That really has very little to do with my question. In the case you
describe, it is a person making a personal decision who does not have to
really worry about making a profit, advertising, market share, etc.. In the
case I describe, it is 2 companies that do have to worry about making a
profit, advertising, market share, etc.

>> or would you pay me for increasing your exposure, and thus
>> advertising.

> In your dreams. I believe you'd see the latter only if your chips have
> a special cachet about them.

I have no idea exactly what you mean by a "special cachet," but I am very
certain that frito-lay is the best selling chip in the US, and I am pretty
sure that is a "special cachet" as far as business deals go. That is what
would make such a deal attractive to a company that makes BBQ sauce.

Either way, I am quite sure it is business considerations, and not any kind
of personal considerations that brought about such a business deal.

Brian Christiansen.