Reg

Default Kosher Salt vs. Table Salt

Frogleg wrote:

> I bow to your scientific approach to the matter. I was thinking that
> "salt is salt," and that it wouldn't make much difference in a recipe
> It's this wretched weight/volume measure confusion we live with. An
> ounce of salt is an ounce of salt by weight, but not necessarily by
> volume. Since we rarely *measure* by weight, then a volume
> correction/conversion is in order. Weird, no? I mean we *buy* 5lb
> (weight) of sugar and flour, but we *use* cups (volume) in cooking.
> Oil comes in volumes (quart, 1pt 12oz), but butter as weight (1lb).

When making large batches I always use weight, but it's not very
convenient or practical in small smounts sometimes. So
I wanted to get a good idea of how to accurately measure it
using volume, and I knew most of the conversion figures I saw
for salt were wrong simply by tasting. There is an oft repeated
figure going around bbq circles, published in major cookbooks, etc,
that says that to use kosher in place of regular you use twice
as much. Great way to ruin your food!