Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Oaking Revisited

https://www.thebarrelmill.com/spirals.html

> On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:15:22 -0000, jim
> > wrote:
>
>>Thanks for clarifying Joe. I made a select
>>Pinot Noir kit recently
>>that used both the powdered and chipped forms of
>>oak. I presume both are available from my
>>winemaking store - but I will bear in mind the
>>woodiness of the powdered version.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>On Oct 2, 10:07 pm, Joe Sallustio
> wrote:
>>> Oh, and I am talking about chips or beans; the
>>> stuff that looks like sawdust imparts a strong
>>> 'wood' taste and is not something I like to
>>> use.
>>>
>>> Joe

There is at least one winery here in N. VA., Md
area that is using the spirals. I have tasted
the wine and it is very good. Some of the
wineries out here buy new barrels after just
three years. I personally think this is a waste
but to each his own. It might be possible to
pick up a so called "Spent" barrel and use
Spirals for years to come.

I went to the Maryland Wine Festival a couple
weeks ago and tasted a number of red wines. They
all tasted the same - like a new barrel.

There was very little to NO varietal character to
the wines. It was virtually impossible to tell
the difference between a Merlot, Cabernet Franc
and Cabernet Sauvignon. Even the Chambourcin
tasted the same. I guess some people think that
this is the way wine is suppose to taste and has
become the defacto standard. Luckily we can
tailor the wines to our individual taste.