Posted to alt.food.barbecue
MargW MargW is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

Nonnymus wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> Harry
>> posting from rainy [actually seriously ****ing], Nanaimo.

> Harry, we have great friends in Victoria and have been in your town as
> recently as last year. You live in a beautiful part of the world. Our
> friend in Victoria advertises himself as "living on an Island in the
> pacific." <grin>
>
> Now for a serious question: Do the folks there make and eat Nanaimo
> bars occasionally, or are they just for tourists? Personally, I think
> they're great and have bought them at a Safeway on the island.
>
> Nonny

Hi Nonny:

I don't know about Harry , but as an eastern Canadian I not only eat,
but I make Nanaimo bars. They are sooooo good.

For those who haven't had the pleasure, the traditional version is
basically a graham cracker/butter/grated coconut, chopped walnuts and
cocoa base, with a layer of icing (usually flavoured with custard
powder), and topped with melted chocolate (dark preferably). I've also
seen commercial versions flavoured with cappuchino, Baileys and Mint.

Here's a description and a great recipe (basically the one I use)
http://www.joyofbaking.com/NanaimoBars.html

MargW
(waving at Denny)