Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann Paul E. Lehmann is offline

Default Oaking Revisited

jim wrote:

> I think it is a matter for the craftsman or
> experimenter perhaps, but how do you decide when
> to oak a red wine and when do you leave it
> natural? I guess this applies most to people
> who are adding oak to a wine rather than those
> who store in oak barrels.
>
> I just fermented a single gallon from my father
> in laws unknown
> sprawling vine. It's nice, I can't tell
> immediately post fermentation if it would
> benefit from oaking next y ear so I thought I'd
> stick a finger in the wind and see if any of you
> experts might throw me a bone?
>
> Jim

Here is a thought. You like the wine, right?
If you did not like the wine, you would have
nothing to loose but since you like it, consider
leaving well enough alone.

Here is a thought, I know it sounds weird but just
for grins you could put a few oak chips in a
single bottle when you bottle it and let it sit a
couple months and try that single bottle. Of
course you would have to figure out how much (how
little) to add to a single bottle.

Next year try to make two gallons and oak one.