Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim jim is offline

Default Oaking Revisited

I think it is a matter for the craftsman or experimenter perhaps, but
how do you decide when to oak a red wine and when do you leave it
natural? I guess this applies most to people who are adding oak to a
wine rather than those who store in oak barrels.

I just fermented a single gallon from my father in laws unknown
sprawling vine. It's nice, I can't tell immediately post fermentation
if it would benefit from oaking next y ear so I thought I'd stick a
finger in the wind and see if any of you experts might throw me a
bone?

Jim