Posted to alt.food.sushi
parrotheada1a parrotheada1a is offline

Default Octopus for sushi

On Sep 26, 2:38 pm, War > wrote:
> parrotheada1a wrote:

> > I can only assume that this is a good preparation for FRESH octopus.
> > Since I cannot find the fresh product up here in New England, I am
> > forced to use frozen. My preparation gives excellent results, and the
> > octopus I buy typically runs about 4-5 lbs. About the only thing that
> > needs to be removed is the beak, the viscera are usually taken out
> > before freezing. Always buy a frozen octopus, this reduces the chance
> > of spoilage.

> > 1. Put on a pot of water, about a gallon, and add a good sized piece
> > of kombu and about 2 oz of sea salt. Bring to a boil.
> > 2. Thaw octopus in cold water, then drain well.
> > 3. Knead the octopus with a large amount of fresh grated/chopped
> > daikon radish and sea salt. What this does is to clean off any slime,
> > and it also tightens the skin up just a bit. While doing that, turn
> > the head inside out and check for any leftover viscera. Remove any
> > that's found, then return the head sac to it's correct shape.
> > 4. Using a fork, dunk the octopus into the boiling water a few times
> > untill the tentacles curl up. Lower the heat a bit, and then simmer
> > the octopus for about 5-10 minutes. After that turn the heat off and
> > cover the pot.
> > 5. Let the octopus cool in the liquid for at least an hour, then into
> > the fridge the whole thing goes. Overnight is great if you can manage
> > it, it's the slow cooling that tenderizes it.Take it out of the water
> > and let it dry a bit. Slice, then serve as you like.

> > You'll probably find the skin around the head to be very tough. This
> > skin is better off discarded. The very top of the tentacles where they
> > conjoin into the head will probably also have a gelatinous layer right
> > under the skin that's not too edible either. Hope this helps anyone
> > who would like to cook one up.

> > Jim S.

> Hi Jim, do you mind if I add this to the recipe section on sushifaq.com?
>
> -Warren
>
> --
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ
> HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ

Not a problem at all Warren. I cannot claim full credit for it though.
Most of the ingredients and some of the techniques are from Shizuo
Tsuji's Japanese cooking book. His outstanding book uses fresh
octopus, and I have added a few different steps for starting with the
frozen ones.

I should also add that the cooked octopus has a fairly short shelf
life even if refrigerated. I usually store it unsliced in a ziplock
bag, and I've learned that if kept dry, the octopus will keep for a
week, mebbe two at the most. I've found that keeping it in a strong
brine solution after cooking extends shelf life in the fridge. The
salt in the brine doesn't seem to get into the meat, the texture
remains firm, and it keeps the cooties at bay for weeks longer. Still,
don't expect this stuff to keep forever. After a few weeks in the
brine, parts of the octopus will get soft, especially the skin.