Roy Basan

Default Starter #2

"Fred" > wrote in message >...
> I gave up on the concept of making a sourdough starter with commercial
> yeast. It needs to be fed constantly.

You cannot make a good sourdough starter with commercial yeast.
Even if the bread from such yeast based starter taste had slight
sourness , it is still distinctively different from the real
sourdough.It is also blander in taste.
If had to do such thing.
I startt with real 100% yeast free starter carefully maintained by my
assistants but
I add baker's yeast in a different manner.....
Rather if I find that my dough from natural starter to be slow
proofing .In the next batch I tend to spike the dough side with very
little yeast( maybe around 0.1-0.2% based on flour weight) to enliven
up the proofing rate without any distinctive effect on bread flavour.
If I add more yeast the flavor profile will not be sourdough like but
more of normal yeast bread type.

Roy