Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JohnO[_2_] JohnO[_2_] is offline

Default Any issues when using sand

> And of course the cleanup--pull off the foil and toss it--is a BUNCH
> easier.

I did this with my old ECB, but it didn't work out as I hoped...the foil
wasn't wide enough to cover the entire bowl, so it got a couple layers.
Apparently a fair amount of grease made its way into the sand, and over the
summer it turned the sand into something just this side of concrete. And it
didn't smell great, either. Not rancid, but not good. So while chipping away
at the former sand, I poked a hole in the bowl. One thing always leads to
another. :-)

I'm probably going to run my WSM w/o water this weekend, maybe just an empty
bowl, or maybe some coarse pool filter sand I have left over, and some wide
foil from the restaurant supply place. I want to try a brisket again.

But I'll agree with everyone else...eliminating water really speeds up the
process with zero ill effects.

-John O