Posted to alt.food.barbecue
ChildFree Abby ChildFree Abby is offline

Default Any issues when using sand

Bill Riel wrote:
> in a wsm instead of water?
>
> I've only used water in the pan to date, but I find the clean up a bit
> of a hassle (and the need to check water levels). I bought some
> sterilized playground sand and I was going to put that in the pan and
> cover it with foil.
>
> I'm just wondering if the lack of steam changes anything I should be
> aware of?
>
> My next smoke won't be a major one, but I'm going to do some ribs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Bear in mind, I don't have the experience of barbecue as others do. I,
have, however extensive experience as a cook. (and I use a clone of a
wsm) So, I will share my thoughts with you. Sand will do two things: it
will absorb any grease that falls and you will avoid flareups. This is a
good thing. It will also absorb and radiate heat, which may (or may
not) make regulating the heat in your wsm a bit easier.

For the record, I don't use water, just a foil wrapped pan because I
have tried and found water to be a real PTA when cooking. (at least in
my limited experience)

I have found, and has others have pointed out, that if you keep an eye
on your temps, you will do just fine without water.

As always YMMV.

Abby

--
The ChildFree Abby Archives - http://www.dismal-light.net/childfreeabby/