Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

juliantai > wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, why is organometallic pesticides harm the
>drinkers and not the workers?

Lots of them do harm the workers, especially when excessively applied. A
lot of pesticides that are no longer legal for use in the US because of
safety concerns are still extensively used in other countries.

>It is interesting you compare pesticides to vodha, or spirit. Does
>that tell me anything about the hot water solubility of this
>pesticide?

Well, ethanol is a thing you can get in a lot of forms. It makes it a
convenient reference point.

>http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/food_industry.asp?id=546
>
>As you can see, EU currently have MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE LIMITS for 30
>pesticides residuals, with another 40 under discussion.
>
>Not to mention other environmental pollutants.
>
>It kind of struck me that low cost testing doesn't really exist, at
>least for now, and the only logical place for comprehensive testing is
>in the larger tea gardens, where it is subject to manipulation.

Sure.

>The more I look into this issue, the less I am convinced pollution and
>pesticides are an issue, especially if you are drinking a high grade.
>
>First, a lot of tea quality is in the taste, so anyone can do their
>DIY testing.
>
>Second, as pointed to me earlier by Chagonwala, we drink only a few
>grams of tea leaves each day. Only less than half is soluble in water.
>
>Now compared this to the other foods you eat. Another 300 grams or
>more? Do your vegetables and fruits and meats grow in high mountain?
>Are they TRULY organic? They don't dissolve in water, do they? Have
>they any history of health scare? Do they kill bacteria and virus and
>reduce cancer risk?

Yes, precisely. The thing is, we drink a lot of tea which is farmed
in developing countries under poorly-controlled conditions, and we don't
consume many other products like that. On the other hand, if I were
living in mainland China today, tea would be the last thing I would ever
worry about.
--scott