williamwaller

Default Some experiments

On 4/12/04 12:01 PM, "Dave Bazell" > wrote:

> OK, so what exactly does 100% hydration mean? If I combine 50g of water and
> 50 g of flour I get 50% hydration, by my calculations. I need 100% water to
> get 100% hydration. What am I missing?
>
>> In addition to Kenneth's suggestions I would offer the following.
>>
>> 1) Refresh your starter, building to about 800 grams at 100 hydration.

> Dave,

By convention we all operate suing a ratio system we call "baker's math".
Everything is weighed relative to the amount of flour used. So the flour
weight is always to denominator of the ratio.

800 grams of starter at 100% hydration is 400 grams of flour and 400 grams
of water.

400/400 = 100%

You get used to it very quickly.

Will