Kenneth

Default Some experiments

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:43:59 -0400, "Dave Bazell" >
wrote:

>Hi Kenneth,
>
>> >2) trying to get more sour flavor. I think using more starter should

>help
>> >since it is sour. I also think longer fermentation should help since the
>> >sponge is pretty sour to the taste before I make the dough. Letting

>things
>> >sit longer should allow appropriate growth.

>> In my experience, the extent of sour in the final loaf related not to
>> the proportion of starter, but rather to the extent of the final
>> fermentation before the bake.

>OK, I have read that too. How long can I ferment? I can keep the dough in
>the fridge for several days probably. I will try that next. I can always
>punch down if it rises too much.
>
>> Also, the sour taste of the starter probably indicates that it has
>> fermented too long, that is, beyond the point at which it should have
>> been fed.
>>

>Hmm, that's interesting. I started this starter in early February and have
>not fed it since then. I just take some out and add flour and water. It
>does have a layer of hooch. It seems to work perfectly well though. A
>little starter and flour and water perks up great. I will try refreshing it
>a couple of times and then make some sponge and see what the results are
>like.
>>

>> In my experience, increasing the hydration, and lowering the protein
>> level both increase the coarseness of the crumb (translating to
>> English "both increase the size of the holes.) Also, more kneading
>> leads to a finer crumb. In fact, for many of my "rustic" breads I do
>> not knead at all. I just mix the ingredients enough to assure that
>> there are no "pockets" of dry flour...
>>

>Great I will try less kneading.
>
>> HTH,
>>

>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hi again Dave,

In terms of "how long":

In a sense (for max sour) you want to ferment the final loaf to the
last moment before it collapses.

At the practical level, that may take a bit of experimentation (or a
reverse time machine...)

If you are doing pan loaves, watch them with care. When the loaf is at
the point that it is no longer rising (but before collapse) very
gently move it to the oven.

The fact that you have not fed the starter for months is a problem.
Not that anything will explode, but in the sense that you are baking
with an extremely weak starter. You are likely to be far better off
refreshing it several times before you use some of it to bake.
Remember that the key to sour bread is a lively healthy starter
together with long fermentation.

HTH,

--
Kenneth