Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi Musashi is offline

Default Octopus for sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
news:M7XJi.4786$f%1.3531@trnddc01...
> Gerry wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:09:44 -0700:
>

> G> You're taking a direction I didn't predict and can't even
> G> really follow. But it sounds really bad.
>
> ??>> Incidentally, simmering is not much different in
> ??>> temperature from boiling and I refuse to believe that at
> ??>> most 5 degrees makes much difference. Now, if you referred
> ??>> to "poaching" where the liquid does not actually boil, I
> ??>> would have to agree.
>
> G> I'm not an advanced cook, but I know some sauces, soups and
> G> other foods shouldn't be boiled, but should be simmered. So
> G> whatever the minor difference is, I can't say it doesn't
> G> apply to tako.
>
> Let's stay away from correcting each other, especially about
> mistyping something from another poster, which can lead to bad
> tempered exchanges, sorry! I don't consider myself an advanced
> cook either and it is a practice where not all terms are well
> defined. I'm just interested in the supposed changes in sea
> food on cooking. Despite what I had read previously, it is
> possible that long cooking does not tenderize octopus and it is
> only the bashing with a mallet (or a daikon) that is important

I've watched Greek fishermen in the Aegean smashing Octopus on the rocks
to tenderize them. It certainly works as the grilled Oktopothi there is
extremely tender.
I 've seen a method in southern Italy where the octopus is dropped in
boiling(I think, not sure)
and pulled out quickly, and this is repeated several times as a means of
keeping it tender.
There was a word for it but I've forgotten.