Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi Musashi is offline

Default Octopus for sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
news:uDPJi.2940$9r4.143@trnddc04...
> "Musashi" > wrote in message
> . net...
>>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>> Musashi wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:32:11 GMT:
>>>

>> It occurred to me later that the "shokkan" (tasting consistency, texture)
>> of
>> cooked and
>> raw Tako is very very similar to the difference between cooked clams and
>> raw
>> clams.
>> I should have mentioned this.
>> In both NY places where I've had it, it wasn't on the menu.
>> It may be worth asking if they have Nama Dako.
>>

> I'm not sure if I have ever tried raw and cooked clams in a sushi
> restaurant. Recently, the only ones I have had were so-called surf clams
> and those, I think, were raw.

Yes at a sushi counter you will find Akagai, Aoyagi, Torigai, Mirugai, etc
all in raw form. I think that surf clam is probably mirugai or geoduck.
On their cooked menu, you may find a Asari miso soup (Manilla clams) or
a Saka mushi (steamed with sake).

> I have had cooked clams in regular cuisine (clam chowder especially) and I
> would say that the texture of the clams was firmer than the clams at the
> sushi bar. However, that's not a real comparison since the species would
> be different, I suppose.

Yes clams harden up when cooked and become chewy.
This holds true for all types of clams. Mussels and Oysters tend to firm up
but won't be quite as chewy as clams.
Chowders use large quahogs which are the same served raw as Littlenecks and
Cherrystones.
They are indeed a different species than the raw stuff you get at the sushi
counter.