Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mydnight Mydnight is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

> But Wuyi is clean everywhere - the town is clean, the mountains are
> clean, the roadsides are clean. Everywhere is very clean. Much cleaner
> than Anxi. So I bet teas from Wuyi are much cleaner than those from
> Anxi. But like I said, pollution can travel on the wind and rain. What
> goes up in one place may not necessarily pollute in the same area. And
> I bet a lot of pollution from Mainland China gets blown over to
> Taiwan. They're just too close in proximity to not be affected.

I'm not so much talking about the pollution factor; I'm talking more
about the pesticides that are used. The environmental pollution is
just something we have to deal with but the man-made pollution that
the farmers create in the form of chemicals applied directly to the
teas to up their stock is more worrisome. The latter can and should
be controlled but it is not; it will never be.

It was a merchant, a local of XiPing (one of the big producers of TGY
besides GanDe) that told me to stop drinking his tea and Wulong from
Fujian.

Taiwan has and does follow standards related to pesticides/
insecticides with their teas, all exports, and even domestic goods.
China does not.

So, who you more willing to believe even without getting into stats?
China or Taiwan? I'm with the latter.