Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
niisonge niisonge is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

> Xiamen is a festering cesspool under a tourist-friendly guise; Fuzhou
> is just as filthy.

Xiamen is actually a very pretty city, almost on par with Hong Kong;
except Hong Kong is way more crowded than Xiamen. But yeah, the air in
Fuzhou is pretty darn dirty. I always have a cough every time I go
there. Near Fuzhou, there is a town called Fuding, where they produce
white tea. Fuzhou has a lot of good eats there. Really delicious
stuff. Xiamen has some good food too. Lots of seafood - but probably
all polluted. Anyway, it tastes good.

> I would be willing to bet all the money in my savings account, which
> ain't much, folks, that any random sample of tea from Taizhong (where
> most wulong is produced in Taiwan), a relatively mountainous, clean
> place, would have a better sanitary rating than ANY TEA, INCLUDING THE
> HIGHEST GRADE, from Fujian AnXi (where Tieguan, the most famous tea
> from Fujian) is produced. I'd also be willing to bet that the Rock
> teas from WuYi Mountain would have the same rating of pollution as in
> Anxi.

Well, Anxi, comparatively speaking is pretty filthy. You can't argue
that. That's the town proper - is pretty dirty and grimy and stinky.
The food there is not so great either. But Tieguanyin is also grown in
the smaller towns in the mountains around there. So it would probably
be cleaner than the stuff that they grow nearest the town.

But Wuyi is clean everywhere - the town is clean, the mountains are
clean, the roadsides are clean. Everywhere is very clean. Much cleaner
than Anxi. So I bet teas from Wuyi are much cleaner than those from
Anxi. But like I said, pollution can travel on the wind and rain. What
goes up in one place may not necessarily pollute in the same area. And
I bet a lot of pollution from Mainland China gets blown over to
Taiwan. They're just too close in proximity to not be affected.