Janet Bostwick

Default Experiment

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
snip>
> It makes more sense to me to do salt as you have, that is, as a
> proportion (typically about 2%) of the weight of the dry ingredients.
> I don't understand why we would want more salt in a super-hydrated
> bread (such as a ciabatta) than in a bread made with lower
> hydration...
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

Good point. I don't know an answer to that. Perhaps the rule was used for
traditional loaves and became a 'standard.'
I do understand that many recipes contain more salt than necessary. But in
this case, where the goal is to obtain large holes, perhaps less salt is
best given that salt acts as a kind of brake.
Janet