Gabriel Wallden

Default SD article in today's local news paper's food section

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Samartha Deva" >
> wrote in message ...
>
> (Regarding spice seeds in traditional rye breads)
>

>>http://samartha.net/SD/images/BYDATE/03-07-12/

>>- ex(ample sunflower seeds

> I don't think that sunflower seeds are spices.
>
> It was caraway that caught my eye -- my understanding is that it
> is not an ingredient of the bread in question.
>
> OK on coriander and fennel.
>
> Comes right if "sunflower seeds" replaces "caraway seeds" in the
> article at
> <http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/food/article/0,1713,BDC_2517_2659262,00.html>
>
>>You may judge yourself, how many errors have sneaked in.

> Well, that, and the very misleading statement in the lead article
> <http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/food/article/0,1713,BDC_2517_2647521,00.html>,
> about starters made with commercial yeast being essential to baking,
> were the errors that I saw. But there may be more. If I see any with my
> McGoo eyes, there's probably more.
>
> One of our contemporary sourdough pioneers was sorely compromised by
> a bookwriter* -- it is a matter of recent sourdough history. Just to say that
> your 15 minutes could cost you a nickel and a dime if you are cut out of
> the final proofreading.
>

>>>... cutting and pasting can make mincemeat of the truth.

>>certainly true - and so does filtering through neurological pathways
>>in human brains, in stronger cases given Latin names.

> Can't argue with that, esp. if it's comes out in Latin (or German, etc.)

Regarding traditional use of caraway in rye bread in Finland

Rye bread has a long tradition in Norther Europe and wheat was at the
latest introduced in finland 1562 by Mickel Östgöte (earlier in sweden).
The earliest written botanical record of caraway in sweden/finland is
from 1658 in Rudbecks Catalogus plantarum. It is known to be growing in
Sweden and Finland at least since the middle ages.

The french traveller Outhier Réginald wrote about the use of caraway in
finish bread in 1736-1737
"About Spices
....and put caraway in all bread."
Outhier Réginald - Journal d'un voyage au Nord en 1736 & 1737. Paris 1744

A SD bread made with rye, wheat and caraway is from my perspective a
traditional bread. Not that it really matters if the bread is
traditional or not.
I just got the impression that Dick Adams implies that putting spices
(especially caraway) in bread is for people lacking knowledge of how
"real traditional" bread is made. Therefore it seems resonable to point
out that rye bread with spices including caraway have a rather long
tradition at least in Northern Europe. Of corse I might have
misunderstod DA and in that case you can just regard my post as a small
contribution of, in a broader perspective, unuseful knowledge.

/Gabriel Wallden