Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>>> I spent three months running trials to see if I could dial the
>>> Cookshack in to reproduce the taste, texture, and tenderness of my
>>> Ole Hickory. I never could get brisket or pork butts/shoulders to
>>> taste as good. It does do chickens real well, and it does OK for
>>> ribs in a pinch. It also make a superb holding oven.
>>>

>> Dave, what are your theories about why this is?

> I wish I knew how to pin-point it. I think that the difference in humidity
> levels, and convection currents/ air movement may have something to do with
> it. The reason the Cookshack (and my Alto Shaam holding oven) works so well
> as a holding oven is the reduction in air movement, which will dry out meat.
> This may have an effect on low temperature bbq cooking.

Interesting thought. A fuel burner of any kind needs oxygen and fuel to
work. Anything I've seen along that line permits the smoke to exit the
combustion chamber and flow through the smoking chamber. OTOH, an
electric smoker can be almost sealed closed. (from below comment) I
agree that my electric Bradley produces no smoke ring, and attribute
that to the lower temperature of the smoldering wood pucks. While I've
not played with a non-puck burning smoker, do you happen to know if the
wood chips actually burn or just smolder like in the Bradley? Another
difference between the Bradley, a wood chip electric smoker and a true
combustion smoker is that the Bradley quenches the pucks after 20
minutes. I wonder if the quenching prevents the release of some
unsavory flavors that might come out after a puck is almost fully turned
to ash? The pucks I find in the quenching pan still have their shape
and are black- not gray ash- as I've seen with electrically heated wood
chips and obviously in my past combustion heated smokers.

Any idea when the magic smoke-ring-making stuff is produced?

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by