Posted to rec.food.baking
Steve[_22_] Steve[_22_] is offline

Default Am I doing it right [Baking Bread]

Hi all. I am a bit of a bread baking novice. I've baked a few loaves
over the past few weeks - generally following the recipes on the flour
packet.

Although the loafs I am producing are tasty and have risen the
appropriate amount in the tin (i.e. the dough has doubled in size)
they are much denser than loaves one might buy at the bakers.

The 2lb loaf tins I have produce loaves that are similar in size to
the small loaves from the supermarket.

I baked a white loaf the other day using one of my 2lb loaf tins - the
dough doubled in size but this meant it kind of spilled over the edges
of the tin and while delicious - it looks a bit odd. But it is still
quite dense in texture.

Any advice on how a properly baked wholemeal or white loaf should look/
feel and what texture one should expect - would be greatly appreciated.