Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Ankit Lochan Ankit Lochan is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

On Sep 16, 12:32 pm, Tea Sunrise > wrote:
> Since a lot of the tea we drink comes from China and Indonesia, are
> you ever worried that the tea leaves were sprayed with pesticides such
> as DDT or other harmful chemicals? I'd hate to think that I could
> be drinking a cup full of toxins or pesticides along with my EGCG.
>
> Is the correct move to switch to organic teas? Does anyone really
> know if tea bushes are completely safe for consumption?
>
> Any input is highly appreciated. thanks.

Organic Certificates are being sold by these certifying agencies at
diffrent price tags like - if you pay a very high fees - you are
organic within 6 months, if the amount paid is lower - 15 months, if
still lower than 24 months..... the story goes on.. bottomline is if
you have cash you can become organic real quick otherwise dont even
think or imagine getting a certificate... it just wont happen - no
matter how good you are...

Organic Organic and Organic has just turned out to be a marketing
gimmick. a small example - a big group in india buys several gardens
as they switch from one trade to another and in a small time span all
their gardens are certified organic ..... hey a land and a bush that
were on chemicals for over 100 years suddenly becomes organic - 100%
in 6 months or a year - is that possible? the answer friends lies with
us.

I think that we should study the source that we buy from - by that i
mean the manufacturing source and whenever we buy teas from our US
wholeseller or retailer we should ask him to provide us with a
pysiochemical certificate for the teas he is carrying. this
certificate is provided by the lab, they provide details like the
moisture content, the ash content, blah blah and the main part is that
they provide the pesticide analysis (dicofol, ethion, quinolphos,
fenzaquin, glyphospate, melathion, diazinon, fenamiphos, propargite)
these are the common chemicals that the lab tests.. this certificate
only costs 150 USD to 200 USD per tea. this will help the person
market his teas better and he will also be able to make a loyal
clientale for himself...

if the american tea association or any body can make a law that any
person selling tea to US wholesellers, retailers or consumers has to
provide this certificate for the tea he sells - i think our job in
deciding which tea to drink will be easier, it will also make the
manufacturers more conscious.

we have to make things more realistic and stop companies from taking
advantage of this word organic, they are fooling consumers and
charging a very high price for something that is actually not worth
it.

if anyne wants to see a copy of the physiochemical certificate -
please feel free to e-mail me and ask for one.