Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

On Sep 16, 6:32 pm, Refolo > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:28:04 -0000, "Dominic T."
>
> > wrote:
> >atmosphere, runoff, etc. regardless of what they do. It is a fact of
> >life today. This whole "organic" business is just that, a business.

> Not, if you grow something organic, you do not put more pesticides in
> the environment.
>
> So, the more organic the best for all.

I understand this, and I'm also not going to come down on anyone who
want to eat only "organic" products... fine by me. But I will say that
it matters not one bit whether *you* use pesticides, if the crop is
planted in the ground, in the open it will be almost indistinguishable
from a "non" organic product when analyzed. No one can control
groundwater, rain, runoff, air quality, etc. as if they were in a
bubble... unless they are in a bubble. I have a lot of family and
friends in the agriculture business and even the ones who grow organic
produce will not try to sugar-coat the reality of the situation. It is
what it is, and as they will even gladly admit, the "organic" labeled
produce sells and sells for a large markup and in many cases it is
absolutely no different than how they have been growing those same
tomatoes, corn, cucumbers in years past. They love this new marketing
and hype, they don't pay a cent to advertise it and they reap all of
the benefits.

To think anything is going to grow in China and not be tainted in some
way or another though is fooling themselves, same goes for right here
in the good ole US of A, no difference. If you have a local family
farm or co-op, like I said, go for it. It's better than a Whole Foods
market or Wal-Mart and you are directly helping local people in your
community, if that "green" product had to take a half way around the
world journey to get to you, you've already offset any carbon/CO2/etc.
that was saved in the production... but you saved there being double
the amount... so I guess that's a plus. Again, just my views, but
having some familiarity with it all, I can safely say that it is a
business and it is a fad and there will always be folks willing to
fill a niche.

- Dominic