Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Making a real BBQ rig

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

> "Guv Bob" > wrote in message
> mmmmmm MMMMM!!!! This is making me HONGRY!! :OD
>
> Some of the folks at work talk about what a "real" bbq is. One says that
> the meat is not cooked over fire or coals, that it's off to the side and
> has the smoke funnels across it. I never heard that anywhere else -
> thought BBQ was always done over coals or a wood fire (pronounced far).
>
> Guv Bob

Barbecue has evolved over hundreds of years. Some is cooked direct, others
indirect. Texas barbecue changed when the oil rigs came along. Large pieces
of pipe were left in the fields and someone decided to make an offset
cooker.

In direct cookers, the grate for grilling is inches over the coals, but to
make barbecue the grate is much higher, maybe 18" or more. Each has good
and bad points and you can get into ****ing contests quite easily if you
know for a fact that your method is the only true barbecue.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/