Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Dominic T. Dominic T. is offline

Default worried about pesticides in tea?

On Sep 16, 3:32 am, Tea Sunrise > wrote:
> Since a lot of the tea we drink comes from China and Indonesia, are
> you ever worried that the tea leaves were sprayed with pesticides such
> as DDT or other harmful chemicals? I'd hate to think that I could
> be drinking a cup full of toxins or pesticides along with my EGCG.
>
> Is the correct move to switch to organic teas? Does anyone really
> know if tea bushes are completely safe for consumption?
>
> Any input is highly appreciated. thanks.

There is no such thing really as organic tea (my belief in any so-
called organic food is minimal at best anyhow though) Mainly for the
fact that no one can control the ground/soil contents or the rain,
atmosphere, runoff, etc. regardless of what they do. It is a fact of
life today. This whole "organic" business is just that, a business.

I have always said from day 1 that I fully believe any perceived
health benefits in tea are nullified by environmental/handling/
processing issues. I just hope the balance is in favor of the health
side and less on the dark side. But it is always just that, a hope.

I have seen "organic" okra test so high for uranium it was off the
charts. I've seen artesian wells test high for lead, cyanide, and a
host of other nasty things... the bottom line is that with tea it is a
sponge. It soaks up and concentrates, especially into new growth which
are the prized buds and leaves, and that is just how it is. EGCG and
all the rest of the health benefit B.S. is nothing but marketing and
hype. Drink tea because you want to, and you enjoy it, and also
remember to take a break from the stuff every now and then for some
water or other drink to keep things in some sort of balance. I know I
can put away 10-14 cups a day easily, I also know I don't do 10-14
cups of anything else, even water... so I know I'm way out of any sort
of balance there and if there happens to be toxins/chemicals in some
of the tea I'm drinking I'm getting nice steady, prolonged doses which
is just about the worst possible way to do it. I understand it, I
accept it, and I move on with life.

Spending extra for some silly stamp of approval is just that, silly.
If you want "organic" then patronize your local small farms and
growers for as much as possible, it probably won't help one bit in the
end but at least you kept a hard-working family alive instead of some
corporate mill. Speaking of which, my tea bush is growing like crazy
now that it is a bit older... at this rate I'll have to charge about
$10,000/oz. but it is the most "organic" tea ever grown and has never
been subject to anything since it has been in my greenhouse from birth
and hand cared for with no contact with the environment except the
sunlight that comes in and the air that circulates through. I'll be
taking orders for about year 2010, so get them in early... *crickets
chirping*

- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com