Posted to rec.food.cooking
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default How to cut Italian sausage?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Sorry about asking, but i am new to cooking. I was trying to cook some
> sausages i bought at Sams. I used virgin olive oil in a pan and was
> trying to slice the sausages into small pieces and throw it in the
> frying pan. However, after cutting a few slices, i feel as if i didn't
> cut it right since it looks all mashed up, not a circular piece. Is
> there a technique into cutting raw sausages into circular pieces
> before i throw them into the pan to cook? Thanks.

Cook them whole first, by putting them in a frying pan in about an inch
of water, simmering for 15 minutes, turning until the water evaporates.
Then you can add oil if you want to, but I don't, they are fatty enough.
Turn the heat up to medium high then and brown on all sides. (Don't
prick the sides, so as much of the seasoning will stay in.)

Then slice them, and if you want them brown on the flat sides, toss them
back in.

When they are raw the casing holds them together--if you slice them then
they can fall apart before they are cooked. When cooked, they hold their
shape.