Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default Making a real BBQ rig

low-n-slow wrote:
> Oh, you mean the kind that sits on a flat-bed trailer and costs
> somewhere between ten and fifteen thousand dollars?
>
> low-n-slow

I'm not sure if it has to be the semi truck variety to count, but if
you're after results and not just the art of low and slow, the boys in
Pennsylvania can help you. http://www.pitminder.com/

My guess is that their equipment can be scaled up to commercial size
with no effort. I don't pretend to have the skill of the commercial
folk who post here, or even the more dedicated folk. However, as I've
gotten older, I just don't get as much of a kick tending the smoker as I
did years back. Nowadays, the fun for me is the results more than
saying I did it all. The Pit Minder variation on their web site simply
uses outside air to moderate the hood temperature during a smoke and to
further adjust the hood temperature lower as the meat reaches the
desired temperature.

For the charcoal/coal/wood or even gas folks, that's done using a fan
whose volume is controlled by a computer, for better want of a word.

When you cut to the chase, the barbecue we all love is a product of the
marinade, rub, mop and sauce, combined with the smoke and cooking
temperature profile. It's the last item that can go from being fun to a
pain in the rump with age and arthritis.<grin> The skilled barbecuer,
either commercial or recreational, adjusts the fire level to get the
hood temperature he thinks is appropriate for the meat. Rather than
manually adjust a damper or run a thermostat up and down, why not lay it
all out on paper and let a computer do it for you while you sit back and
have a drink?

When I used to do construction, I used a 22oz Estwing to drive 16d box
nails. Later, I got the same results with a Paslode pneumatic nailer. I
also used an electric planer to join wood instead of a 16" joining
plane, spray finish rather than brush, use a Lawn Boy for the yard
instead of a push mower and have a TIMER to sprinkle the lawn instead of
using a garden hose. Sure, I could go around in the evening and cut on
my porch and yard lights at switches, but I prefer to use X-10 controls
to do it for me. . . and also cut them off.

I don't feel that we lose a thing by increasingly automating cooking,
including our venerated barbecue. I love it as much as the next man,
but don't think I give up a thing when I let a silicone chip control
some of the factors I've done over the course of an evening, afternoon
or even nighttime, in the past. It's still ME setting the parameters-
the question is whether it's me manually making the adjustments or
something doing it for me while I nap or have a martini.

--
---Nonnymus---
You don’t stand any taller by