Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shrimp: farmed or wild?

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> >The trick for that I guess would be establishing a time per lb. for it,
>> >(I'm sure they do that commercially as the frozen pre-cooked shrimp I
>> >buy is always perfect), but I'd personally rather watch over them.
>> >
>> >They are too damned expensive to damage!

>> you're right, boiling is probably more practical for the home cook.
>> and i suppose steaming large quantities could cause some to be over-
>> and some undercooked.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Do you ever boil them?

You never actually boil shrimp. You bring a large amount of water **TO** a
boil - enough water so the quantity of shrimp you're adding doesn't lower
the temperature TOO much. When the water (and perhaps spices) boils, you
remove it from the heat, add the shrimp, and cover. The timing cannot be
explained because it depends on the size of the shrimp, and whether you have
a clue as to how much to cook shrimp.