Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default (2007-09-14) New survey on the RFC site: Silly survey: Friday nightfood

Andy wrote:

> Sky said...
>
> > Sky, who still feels lucky and hopes to win that "big lottery" someday

> Sky,
>
> I hope you do!
>
> I wrote a lot of lotto checker programs in my day. To try to convince my
> mate in Australia to stop playing the lottery I wrote a Perl program to
> generate 100,000 pseudo random lotto quick pick games and then match them
> against a winning number series I chose. I had it set to infinitely loop
> until it triggered a grand prize match. It took about 10 seconds to run
> each iteration. After 48 hours I had to kill the program.
>
> You do the math! If you can't do that, don't play the lottery! <G>
>
> 170,000,000:1
>
> He keeps sending me money to manage his lotto habit, for 10%. In 5 years
> he's lost $800. I've made $3.00, MAYBE!
>
> I still go in for $1.00 when it's over $100 million. I can't be bothered
> with a measly $50 million jackpot. What kind of island would THAT buy? <G>
>
> Andy

I get 1 lotto and 1 Mega Millions ticket each time I get gas. I figure
what's $2 on top of the $60 in gas? Not likely I'm going to win, but not
really going to miss the $50/yr. As for the jackpot, I don't pay much
attention to it, I'll take anything I can and anything that puts a mil
in the bank is sufficient for me to retire. I don't need a multi million
dollar house.