Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou Decruss[_2_] Lou Decruss[_2_] is offline

Default Do you put sauce on BBQ brisket?

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:36:57 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>salgud wrote:
>
>> To me, it's not BBQ if there's no BBQ sauce on it.

>....snip
>

>Sometimes someone's opinion is so twisted around and absolutely wrong that
>there's no use in even trying to provide a correction. :-(

Probably why nobody responded.

(thread drift alert!!!)

A few years ago a new friend was bragging about how good his ribs
were. Of course he said he used a weber gas grill. I didn't laugh
but he could tell by the look on my face I wasn't impressed. He asked
what was better and I briefly explained and told him to do a little
googling and get back to me if he wanted to give my smoker a try.
Shortly after he decided we needed to have a party at my house and he
would bring and smoke ribs. He showed up with pages of printed off
stuff he'd googled AND about 5 different bottles of sauces he'd
purchased. I asked him if there were more than the 15 people coming I
knew about? I shrugged and said "you'll see." He used a rub he'd
found and practiced a new trick he read about that involved removing
the membrane. I spent about an hour with him teaching basic fire
tending skills including how to feel smoke and he was off and running.
He was so obsessed trying to prevent dips and spikes that he sat in a
chair next to the smoker for the whole 5-6 hours. Meantime his kids
tore my house up. <sigh> When the ribs passed the snap test he pulled
one off and tried it. His comment was: "Lou, now I see."

When they left I sent all the sauces back with him. Nobody used any.
His ribs were perfect and he still claims to be the BBQ king of our
group. Unlike saladgud, now he knows what BBQ is.

Lou