Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mitch Scherer Mitch Scherer is offline

Default Shrimp: farmed or wild?

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message
. ..
> For years I've been buying bags of frozen farm-raised raw shrimp with
> tails on, from various sources and various distributors. All have, with
> few exceptions, been nicely deveined and quite tasty.
>
> My local Shaw's has now added wild raw shrimp from "American" waters, at
> about the same price (perhaps a dollar less) and the seafood people
> recommended I try them. I found the ones I bought to be poorly deveined at
> best, and quite tough.

No brainer. Eat the obviously better, although slightly more expensive
shrimp.

It's not a zero-sum game. World trade benefits us AND them. When you
practice isolationism, in this case, you get crappy shrimp, reward people
who produce an inferior product just because of the country where they
happen to live, and take a meal from the mouths of a family because they are
foreigners. World trade also benefits the US producers who do well in
foreign markets.

Mitch