Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY HATE SAFEWAY (was: Supermarket Experiences)

Tabbi wrote:

> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> degree.

The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
$0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
and a nickel.

Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
(less than a penny per shift), they are willing
to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.

Now, you might wrongly say that I can always ask
to trade my change for some quarters. The last time
I did that, the checker didn't have any quarters in
her drawer. I pointed to the change machine and
pointed out that it was full of quarters. But she
said they'd changed the machines, and she'd have
to get the quarters from another checker. In all,
it took about an extra three minutes, and I wasn't
about to let them off the hook for those quarters.
I'm sure they hated me for that, which is fine with
me, as long as they also hate their employer at least
as much. They should suffer for having chosen an
employer with so little regard for their employees
and their customers. HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY.

I now do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's, even
though that's a fair distance from me, and Safeway
is only two blocks away. The employees at TJ's
seem genuinely happy to work there, unlike every
other place that sells groceries. And the prices
are excellent. I'd rather buy more groceries from
a genuinely happy person at TJ's than from a slave
at Safeway.