Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment,uk.d-i-y
sf[_3_] sf[_3_] is offline

Default Stove/Oven replacement questions

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:06:08 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>Owain wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> I saw some awesome stoves when I visited London last year, so get out
>>> and shop! I didn't write down any brand names because I didn't think
>>> I could find them here in the US - and if I did, service would be a
>>> problem here out here on the West Coast.

>> And they probably wouldn't work on your electricity...
>>

>US cookers run on 220v, as do clothes dryers, water heaters, and some
>air-conditioners.

In reality, I wouldn't order anything from over seas... I'd order here
in the US because like cars, appliances are built to fit US standards.
For instance, European cars here have their steering wheels on the
left, so the voltage or btu issue with European stoves wouldn't be a
problem. I feel confident that I wouldn't have any basic problems.
However, I doubt repair and maintenance would be easy here unless the
brand name gained in popularity.

<rant on> That situation didn't keep me from lusting after one brand
in particular. If the showroom sales woman had been a bit more
aggressive and a little less snooty, she would have had someone here
on an international ng talking about her product AND talking about her
store (which was a very nice one) in the heart of London. However she
turned me off so much by her shear arrogance and her ignorant
assumption that a tourist who is just kicking tires can't do anything
to affect her bottom line. What fool is going to plonk down cash the
moment they walk in the door anyway? As a result, I barely remember
which district the store was in.

Fie on you.... you snotty female salesperson!
<I feel better now, TY>
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins