Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathleen[_4_] Kathleen[_4_] is offline

Default Did you ever use Blackbean Garlic sauce Hoisin sauce and Hoisinsauce together

Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>>Omelet wrote:

>>>I keep it simple for shrimp as well. Fry in Olive oil and butter, with
>>>just a little bit of garlic and salt free lemon pepper.
>>>
>>>Shrimp has enough of it's own flavor, it does not need much help. Just
>>>minor flavor enhancers. ;-d
>>>
>>>Sometimes I just steam it and use a hot lemon butter dip like I do with
>>>crab.

>>I like great big shrimp peeled & deveined, basted with butter, lime
>>juice and garlic, then grilled. Yum.

> Oh, drool!

Shrimp prepared this way is really, *really* fricken good.

Granted, the first time I made them this way was down in Puerto Penasco
(Mexico). We were there with our extended family over Easter. My mom,
my sister and I drove into town each day to purchase supplies for
dinner, and on Friday wound up in the middle of some sort of Holy Week
Cruise. There were posh pickups, decked out with every sort of bling,
Grandma and the little ones riding in lawn chairs in the back. There
were low riders bounding along, showing off their suspensions. There
were aged hatch backs packed chock-ablock with grownups, while the kids
rode in the open hatch. Stereo systems were cranked to the max.

So my sister tunes her minivan's radio to some sort of mexican rap and
cranks it up, she and I pull our hats down low and we cruise along with
everybody else. My teen-aged daughter, and my sister's teen-aged boy
were with us and they were absolutely mortified. Grandma couldn't stop
laughing.

A couple of days later the young-uns were acclimated enough that their
sense of humor had resurfaced. There was a mardi-gras atmosphere when
we went into town one evening. Some guys were hooting and hollering at
any female between the age of 6 and 60. When they called to my
daughter, Hey show us your chest, her cousin, Christopher, whipped
around and pulled his shirt up. It was a true Kodak moment.

>>I've also tried a quick brining - "taking them back to the sea" - as one
>>author expounded. It was actually pretty good. It added a little salt
>>to the flesh and gave the texture more "bite", like lobster. If you
>>plan to brine your shrimp use unsalted butter in your basting sauce.

> When we cooked crab camping on the coast, we always did them in clean
> sea water. To me, the meat tasted sweeter. Not sure why.
>
> I may have to try boiling crab in salt water sometime here. I can look
> up the salt percentage to use. I've forgotten what I used to use to
> hatch brine shrimp for my Beta.

I use a solution less salty than actual sea water - more like tears.
which is easy to judge by taste.