Samartha Deva

Default long-term storage of starter

Thank you, that gives some more insights what is happening. I have to
admit that I am not a MB expert, just that I had mold growing recently.
What I did was to disinfect the fridge and use new containers and the
bread I did with the starters turned out fine - no mold taste (so far).
And - the container lids were not closing tight due to material stuck at
the sealing surfaces, the starter inside got dried out on the surface, I
had a cheese experiment going with gorgonzola - it all made sense.

Yours seems to be a harder case.

Interestingly, I am just reading a book on mushroom cultivation and boy,
aren't sourdoughler's lucky with sourdough. There it seems to be a
constant struggle against intrusion of other organisms and just a matter
of time until something happens, sterile everything, kids out!

The author specifies principle sources of contamination:

- cultivator
- air
- media
- tools
- inoculum
- mobile contamination units (ants, flies, mites....)

So, according to that, nothing seems to be excluded from being a
possible contamination source. Doesn't help much....

Normally, I would think that starters are generally immune from getting
infected and it seems to be true to a high degree.

Since you mentioned that your husband's starter was started fairly
recently, it may give you some indication. Starting a starter is a
"weeding out" of a lot of other organisms with the sourdough's player
remaining. One would think that at that time, any "mold" was defeated
since it did not grow initially.

If this is the case, what has changed?

Another indication is the mold you saw inside. But - mold spores are in
the air, why were they able to manifest?

Is your starter sour - i. e. tasting sour and is the sourness increasing
as you let it grow outside the fridge? Can you determine the phases of
high activity followed by a decrease of activity with increased
sourness? I would think that the starter's sourness along with the
alcohols and what else they produce should protect if the environment is
to their liking.

Now, saving starter by drying or freezing could work. There are
descriptions in the FAQ. But in any case, does that help you? Reviving a
starter either from a frozen or dried state makes it vulnerable.

I think, finding and eliminating the cause for the weakness that the
mold can infest the starter would solve the problem. It worked for 8
years, what has changed after that time period?

Good luck,

Samartha